Riley County Historical Society and Museum
The Riley County Historical Society (RCHS) was founded in 1914, and is a 501 c 3 non-profit organization incorporated in the State of Kansas. In 1915 the Society built the Pioneer Log Cabin in Manhattan City Park and opened its first Museum there in 1916. In 1957 the Museum was moved to the basement of Manhattan City Hall, where it remained until 1977 when a new Museum was built at 2309 Claflin Road in Manhattan as a bicentennial project. The Museum became a Department of Riley County in 1977, but the collection and properties: Pioneer Log Cabin, Wolf House Historic Site (the Wolf House, Mansfield House, Moses House and Wolf Studio), Randolph Jail, Hartford House, and Rocky Ford School remain part of the Riley County Historical Society. The RCHS works with Riley County in support of the Riley County Historical Museum, and the Museum staff administer s the RCHS collection and properties.
In 1996, the Riley County Historical Society and Riley County (through the Riley County Historical Museum) entered a partnership with the Kansas State Historical Society for the operation and support of the Goodnow House State Historic Site. This partnership continues to the present.